September 18-20, 2017
Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
Join us for this annual conference that brings together tribal officials, researchers, practitioners, and others to discuss the current state of Indigenous and academic scientific knowledge about Native nutrition and food science, and identify new areas of work.
Topic areas include:
- Decolonizing food and nutrition
- Indigenous evaluation frameworks
- Successfully translating research into practice
The conference will also include skill-building workshops for researchers and practitioners on topics such as:
- Documenting the traditional food system in your community
- Protecting human subjects in research
- Organizing youth to work on improving Native nutrition
- Building tribal and university partnerships
Confirmed speakers include:
- Stephen Bond, Intertribal Agriculture Council
- Jamie Donatuto and Larry Campbell, Swinomish Indian Tribal Community
- Abigail Echo-Hawk, Seattle Indian Health Board
- Gary Ferguson, Rural Alaska Community Action Program
- Linda Frizzell, University of Minnesota School of Public Health
- Harriet Kuhnlein, Centre for Indigenous Peoples’ Nutrition and Environment
- Devon Mihesuah, University of Kansas
- Lisa Te Morenga, University of Otago
- Stephany Parker, Oklahoma State University
- Joy Persall, Dream of Wild Health
- Donald Warne, North Dakota State University
Schedule at a glance
- Sunday, September 17 | Reception: 7-9 p.m.
- Monday, September 18 | Conference: 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Monday, September 18 | Evening reception: 6-10 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 19 | Conference: 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. (optional tours in the evening)
- Wednesday, September 20 | Conference: 7:30 a.m.-2:15 p.m.